Car Park Zoobrücke
Traffic relief, better trade fair logistics and one of the most modern multi-storey car parks in Germany
After a partial opening in September 2017, Koelnmesse celebrated the official completion of construction work on the Zoobrücke multi-storey car park with invited guests on 20 July 2018. The celebration took place in the logistics area, which accommodates around 310 trucks and, together with the new multi-storey car park, contributes to relieving traffic congestion in the neighbouring districts on the right bank of the Rhine River from car and truck traffic. The new logistics centre was built in the immediate vicinity of the multi-storey car park to ensure smooth logistics operations.
Koelnmesse had announced a "Design and Build" competition for the car park and the adjacent logistics building in mid-2015. The winner was the Cologne-based firm schultearchitekten together with Deutsche Industrie- und Parkhaus GmbH (dip). The result is a curved building that fits into its surroundings with its independent design language and takes account of its prominent location directly beside the Zoobrücke bridge. A special highlight is the design of the north facade along the Zoobrücke bridge. The Stuttgart-based firm wulf architekten designed a curtain wall of metal tiles consisting of over 3,000 individual elements - the first of its kind in Germany.
The car park at a glance:
- Client: Koelnmesse GmbH
- Total contractor: Deutsche Industrie und Parkhausbau GmbH
- Architects: schultearchitekten; North facade: wulf architekten gmbh
- Parking spaces: over 3,200 car parking spaces including 10 electric car charging bays and installations for an additional 30 future connections
- Logistics area with central truck registration and customs clearance
- Start of construction: August 22, 2016
- Opening of first section: September 13, 2017
- Overall completion: June 2018
The individual measures at a glance:
- Architectural competition for the southern section of the exhibition centre
- Hall 1plus