On the initiative of Cologne's Mayor Konrad Adenauer, the trade fair company and the exhibition grounds in Deutz were established in the 1920s. The first event was opened in 1924. This was the spring trade fair, which featured hardware, textiles, and furniture. In response to the great demand for exhibition space, the exhibition grounds were expanded starting in 1926. The Rhineside Halls, the Staatenhaus, and the Messeturm were built by 1928. Thanks to the international press exhibition Pressa in 1928, the new trade fair location became known all over the world.